Courtest of StaySafeOnline.org, here are some helpful tips to stay secure on your cell phones.
- Only give your mobile number out to people you know and trust. Do not use your mobile phone to communicate with strangers. Only text and call people or businesses you know in real life.
- Never reply to text messages from people you don’t know.
- Make sure you know how to block others from calling your phone. Using caller id you can block all incoming calls or block individual names and numbers.
- Make a record of your Electronic Serial Number (ESN) and/or your International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) number. You can find out your IMEI number by pressing *#06# on your mobile phone's keypad, it will display a 15 digit number - that is your IMEI number.
- If your phone is lost or stolen, report it to your local police station and your network operator immediately.
- Think about how a text message might be read before you send it.
- You should never give anyone else's number out without asking them if it is okay.
- You should never take pictures or videos of anyone with your phone if you do not have their permission.
- Do not allow others to take pictures or videos of you without your permission. Remember – these pictures and videos can be posted to the Internet.
- Be careful if you meet someone in real life who you only "know" through text messaging. Even though text messaging is often the "next step" after online chatting, that does not mean that it is safer.
Response: victims of identity theft[...]Washtenaw County Cyber Citizenship Coalition - Online Security - Mobile Tips: Some Pointers for Your Life on the Go[...]